Analytics Intern-Data Science - Mount Sinai Health Systems
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Analytics Intern-Data Science – Mount Sinai Health Partners
Mount Sinai is one of the largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care and research/education. Our health system has over 38,000 employees working together to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients each year.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health management – our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP), the population health division of the Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, located in the New York Metropolitan area and ranked 5th in Fast Company’s “Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data” is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400+ employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development expertise.
Mount Sinai Health Partners is realizing this new objective in two ways. First, we engage in value-based contracts with health plans. Using analytical insights, we deploy our clinical programs to improve the health of attributed populations and maximize customer value. Second, we have created a team to assemble our clinical and population health assets into product offerings (e.g., care bundles, worksite health centers, insurance products in partnership with health plans), and sell them to individuals and employers via multiple channels.
MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
- Are comfortable “playing up” and “playing down” as needed to accomplish business objectives
- Work productively amidst ambiguity
- Thrive in fast-paced work environments
- Seek to improve the status quo
Within MSHP, the Analytics (Actuarial Informatics) team is a thoughtful and diverse group of data science analysts that have important functional roles throughout our business. Using analytical insights, we partner with our Value Based Care Contracting team to understand what is driving our contract performance and identify areas of opportunity to improve population health management. The team blends past experiences from health plans, health systems and public health roles with cutting edge data analytics and machine learning capabilities to deliver exceptional and unique value to our broader business. The frontier ahead includes exciting new tools and data science projects along with transformational business initiatives in a supportive environment and continuous learning culture.
The MSHP Analytics Team is seeking a graduate-level Data Science Intern. The summer internship is full time starting in May through August. The intern will collaborate with the Lead Data Science Analyst and stakeholders from across the organization and gain experience in how to develop sophisticated analytics to provide information, insights and BI (Business Intelligence) solutions that contribute to sound decision-making and effective performance measurement.
The intern will support the Team in various analytics functions including but not limited to the following:
- Analyzing data requests using enrollment, medical claims, pharmacy claims, clinical records, contract, medical management, financial, administrative and other corporate data from both modeled and disparate internal and external sources.
- Collecting, organizing, integrating, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Leveraging statistical analysis methods to create insightful recommendations and conclusions that may be communicated to the stakeholder.
- Developing and may present reports, analyses and findings to management and others as scheduled or requested.
- Helping to reconcile data received to validate reports shared by Value Based Contract partners.
- Using advanced modeling to help support development and inform financial forecasting of Value Based Care contract performance.
- Leveraging existing Tableau capabilities to convert and create automated reporting that has been requested into standardized Tableau dashboards.
- Analyzing trends in cost and utilization across many dimensions that can be identified as significant drivers in performance across Value Based Care contracts.
- Effectively communicating with stakeholders and customers and ensures all requests are properly triaged, recorded and tracked.
- Helping to identify and understand data from internal and external sources for competitive, scenario and performance analyses, and financial modeling to gain member/provider insight into new and existing processes and business opportunities.
- Creating new Tableau reports and interactive dashboards as required.
- BA or BS degree minimum, in a relevant field of study
- Enrolled in an accredited Master’s degree program
- Must have previous/ongoing education/experience with Tableau
- Ability to communicate clearly and problem solve.
Skills and Qualification
- Preferred but not required: Currently studying or has experience in public health, health care, health policy, community health, or experience with health care EMR such as Epic
- Knowledge of the New York State Medicaid and CMS Medicare regulations and related reporting requirements, such as STARS, QARR, MMCOR, MEDS, RAPS and HEDIS is a strong plus.
- Experience working in a health plan or consulting actuarial, financial reporting or medical economics departments highly valuable.
- Experience working in healthcare provider analytics related to revenue modeling, managed care contracting, population management, case management, clinical or financial decision report highly valuable.
Who We Are
Over 42,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, veteran, immigration, citizenship, or other protected status.
EOE including Veterans and Disabled