Emergency Department Certified Coder
Independence Physician Management (IPM), a subsidiary of UHS, was formed in 2012 as the physician services unit of UHS. IPM develops and manages multi-specialty physician networks and urgent care clinics which align with UHS acute care facilities. It also provides select services for the Behavioral Health division of UHS. Through continuing growth, IPM operates in 11 markets across six states and the District of Columbia. Our leadership team, practitioners, and teams of healthcare professionals are collectively dedicated to improving the health and wellness of people in the communities we serve.
To learn more about IPM visit Physician Services - Independence Physician Management - UHS.
Coder Certification Required: The Coder provides coding services and support to assigned IPM Markets/Billing Entities, as required, utilizing clinical documentation in multiple electronic health record (EHR) systems. Applies working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, CPT-4 and ICD-10 codes and coding skills/ experience to ensure timely and accurate coding of clinical documentation. Meets or exceeds established performance targets (productivity and quality) established by the Coding Manager. Works closely with the Billing Department to ensure accuracy in charge posting to the Practice Management System (PMS). Effectively communicates with providers and market staff to ensure that clinical documentation is completed and signed to avoid coding delays and minimize lag days. Assists in educating providers on clinical documentation requirements to support their coding and ensure all coding (charge) possibilities are being captured. Timely notification to the appropriate CBO individuals to review coding for new procedures and initiate PMS set-up (to include fees). Demonstrates the ability to be an effective team
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides accurate and timely coding services and support to assigned IPM Markets, as required, utilizing clinical documentation in multiple electronic health record (EHR) systems. Meets or exceeds established performance targets (productivity and quality) established by the Manager, Coding Integrity, and Audits.
- Performs effective reconciliation to ensure that all charges are captured and works closely with the Charge Capture and Insurance Billing Operations Department to ensure accuracy in charge posting to the Practice Management System (PMS).
- Timely communication with providers and market staff to ensure that medical record documentation is completed and signed to avoid coding delays, minimize lag days and meet team goals/objectives
- Assists in educating providers on clinical documentation requirements to support their coding and ensure all coding (charge) possibilities are being captured. Timely notification to the appropriate CBO individuals to review coding for new procedures and initiate PMS set-up (to include fees).
- Maintains an expanded knowledge base CPT-4 and ICD-10 codes, government, managed care and third-party billing guidelines, AMA, AAP, CMS and coding policies. Meets continued education guidelines to maintain current AAPC CPC certification.
- Exercises good judgement in escalating identified coding trends that may negatively impact productivity, quality, or revenue to mitigate claim denials, expedite reprocessing of claims and maximize opportunities to enhance front end, coding-related claim edits to facilitate first pass resolution.
- Participates in regularly scheduled team meetings offering new paths, procedures, and approaches to maximize opportunities for performance and process improvement.
Education: High School Graduate/GED required. Technical School/2 Years College/Associates Degree preferred.
Work experience: Experience (3-5 years minimum) working in a healthcare (professional) billing, health insurance, coding or equivalent operations work environment. AAPC CPC Certification required.
Knowledge: Healthcare (professional) billing, CPT-4 and ICD-10 codes, government, managed care and third-party billing guidelines, AMA, AAP, CMS and coding policies. Understanding of the revenue cycle and how the various components work together preferred.
Skills: Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, research and problem-solving ability. Results oriented with a proven track record of accomplishing tasks within a high-performing team environment. Service-oriented/customer-centric. Strong computer literacy skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Equipment Operated: Mainframe billing software (e.g., Cerner, Epic, IDX) experience highly desirable
As an IPM employee you will be part of a first class organization offering:
- A Challenging and rewarding work environment
- Competitive Compensation & Generous Paid Time Off
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Plans
- 401(K) with company match
and much more!
Independence Shared Services is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Independence Shared Services. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired as a result of the referral or through other means.
About Universal Health Services
One of the nation’s largest and most respected providers of hospital and healthcare services, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, annual revenues were $12.6 billion in 2021. During the year, UHS was again recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; and listed in Forbes ranking of America’s Largest Public Companies. Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has approximately 89,000 employees and continues to grow through its subsidiaries. Operating acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, outpatient facilities and ambulatory care access points, an insurance offering, a physician network and various related services located all over the U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom. www.uhs.com
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852- 3449