Under direct supervision of a registered nurse, the Student Nurse participates in the nursing process in delivering care to patients and their families. The Student Nurse will provide a wide variety of clinical task/procedures for the patient as a member of the patient care team. Patients served include the infant through the elderly adult.
All employees are responsible for extending the mission and values of UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center by dedicating oneself to providing the highest quality healthcare services to the communities we serve. Nursing employees are responsible for extending the Nursing mission and values of UM Baltimore Washing Medical Center by providing, with intention, exceptional and compassionate care that is relationship based through excellence in teamwork, collaboration, communication, evidenced based care and professional practice.
Reports to the nurse for specific patient related duties. Overall supervision from manager of patient care unit.
Renowned as the academic flagship of the University of Maryland Medical System, our Magnet®-designated facility is a nationally recognized, academic medical center with opportunities across the continuum of care. Come join UMMC and discover the atmosphere where talents and ideas come together to enhance patient care and advance the science of nursing. Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
- Currently enrolled and in good academic standing for junior or senior year of a BSN, or an Associate Degree Program.
- Has successfully completed their Fundamentals Course and 1 Clinical Rotation
- Current CNA certification from the MBON.
- Current AHA Health Care Provider (CPR) card.
- Works inside, in a clean well-lighted environment. May be exposed to frequent interruptions and multiple crisis situations. Potential for regular exposure to communicable diseases and hazardous materials, such as chemicals and cleaning agents, requiring the observation of Standard (Universal) Precautions and safe handling practices. May be physically and verbally abused by patients.
- Works a regular assigned shift but may be expected to work on rotating shifts including weekends and holidays as necessary. May be expected to work on other than regular unit of hire to provide adequate staffing, if the need arises. Participates in temporary assignment measures. This position has been classified as medium exposure risk and requires the completion of an annual respirator mask fitting.
- Requires bending/stooping/crouching/kneeling approximately 50% of the time in the delivery of patient evaluation and treatment.
- Requires reaching/grasping/handling of small equipment and paperwork weighing up to 20 lb. approximately 70% of the time in the delivery of patient care and performance of clerical duties.
- Requires standing and walking approximately 80% of the time; with occasional stair climbing.
- Requires lifting and positioning patients, weighing in excess of 100 lbs., with the assistance of others or ergonomic equipment and utilizing proper body mechanics approximately 50% of the time, in accordance with Safe Patient Lifting policy.
- Requires pushing/pulling equipment weighing up to 100 lbs. approximately 20% of the time, requires carrying supplies/equipment weighing up to 20 lbs. approximately 50% of the time.
- Requires substantial movements/motions of the wrists,hands and/or fingers as in performing treatment procedures approximately 50% of the time.
- Requires good visual acuity to read patient records and equipment monitors; requires adequate ability to receive detailed information conveyed through oral communication in the process of evaluating and treating patients accurately, clearly, quickly approximately 80% of the time.