CLINICAL ENGINEERING TECH II
Under the limited supervision of the Clinical Engineering Supervisor and/or Department Manager, performs highly skilled repair and maintenance of complex electronic patient care/monitoring and clinical engineering equipment, including installations, project management, calibration, routine maintenance of medical electronic equipment.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Performs preventive maintenance, repair and calibration services on complex electronic patient care, clinical laboratory, computerized pneumatic conveying equipment and basic radiographic equipment in accordance with departmental standards and manufacturers operating and repair manuals.
- Interprets and performs inspection procedures appropriately and documents procedures in accordance with Joint Commission regulations and departmental policy and procedure. Identifies potential safety hazards of equipment and documents actions taken to eliminate them.
- Responds to work requests, troubleshoots malfunctions and makes the necessary repairs in a safe, timely and efficient manner. Installs, repairs and maintains complex diagnostic and therapeutic equipment including their electronic and mechanic components.
- Schedules third party repair of equipment when needs are beyond the scope of the department’s expertise.
- Maintains test equipment and tools in good working order. Communicates with nursing, allied health and medical staff, regularly, regarding equipment operation to prevent/minimize equipment failure.
- Participates in the evaluation of new, rental or demonstration biomedical equipment and make recommendation regarding acquisition.
- Observes general clinical engineering practices and respective departmental policies and procedure to promote the overall efficiency of repair service and operations for the Biomedical Engineering Department.
- Assists management with oversight on maintenance of departmental records, such as maintenance requests, electrical safety forms, files, relevant statistics and technical manuals on biomedical equipment in accordance with Joint Commission, federal, state and local regulations.
- Assists with education on use and operation of clinical equipment. Responds to emergency codes as trained and assigned. Strives to achieve excellence of service as described in the CARE Commitments. Responsible for honest behavior in all matters. To the best of the employee’s knowledge and understanding, complies with all Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Maintains the privacy and security of all confidential and protected health information. Uses and discloses only that information which is necessary to perform the function of the job.
- Performs related duties, as assigned.
Renowned as the academic flagship of the University of Maryland Medical System, our Magnet -designated facility is a nationally recognized, academic medical center with opportunities across the continuum of care. Come join UMMC and discover the atmosphere where talents and ideas come together to enhance patient care and advance the science of nursing. Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
- Associates Degree or Certificate in Biomedical Equipment Technology (or related field), or Military Biomedical Technology Course (or equivalent technical program) required.
- Bachelor degree preferrd.
- 3 years of minimum experience required in the installation, testing, maintenance and repair of medical equipment in a hospital setting with 2 years’ experience in maintenance physiological monitoring.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels hospital staff, patients, visitors, and levels of staff.
- Knowledge of applicable trade areas.
- Listening and organizational skills.
- Computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft office programs.
- Results oriented, mature, self-developing, and have integrity.
- Be able to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions and have the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.