Independence Physician Management (IPM), a subsidiary of UHS, was formed in 2012 as the physician services unit of UHS. IPM develops and manages multi-specialty physician networks and urgent care clinics which align with UHS acute care facilities. It also provides select services for the Behavioral Health division of UHS. Through continuing growth, IPM operates in 11 markets across six states and the District of Columbia. Our leadership team, practitioners, and teams of healthcare professionals are collectively dedicated to improving the health and wellness of people in the communities we serve.
To learn more about IPM visit Physician Services - Independence Physician Management - UHS.
The Payment Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely import and processing of Electronic Remittance Advices (ERAs) and manual payment posting to PMS to meet team goals and objectives. Confirms Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and deposits (including lockbox) and processes payments following IPM CBO guidelines. Performs timely and accurate ERA reconciliation to include ERA processing, Process Level Adjustments (PLB) and credits applied to the PMS following the processing of an ERA file to minimize lag days. Meets or exceeds established performance targets (productivity and quality) established by the Payments Supervisor. Exercises good judgment in escalating identified payer specific ERAs that are not posting 100% to the Practice Management System (PMS) to maximize automated processing opportunities. Escalates payer EFT/deposits that are received without corresponding Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) or ERA file to maximize payer ERA enrollment. Demonstrates the ability to be an effective team player. Upholds “best practices” in day to day processes and work flow standardization to drive maximum efficiencies across the team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accurate and timely import of payer assigned electronic remittance advice (ERA) files received from the clearinghouse following verification of electronic funds transfer (EFT) or deposit. Accurate and timely processing of ERA files to PMS to minimize lag days. Meets or exceeds established performance targets (productivity and quality) established by the Billing Supervisor.
- Confirms the electronically posted payments total in PMS against EFT/deposit total. Identifies payments that did not post electronically and manually posts payments to PMS and handles Provider Level Adjustments (PLB) and other credits applied to PMS following the ERA process, to achieve a successful reconciliation result (PMS ERA total is equal to EFT/deposit total)
- Timely and accurate manual payment posting of non-ERA insurance payments, accurately reviews and resolves assigned claim and clearinghouse edits and payer rejections to minimize lag days. Meets or exceeds established performance targets (productivity and quality) established by the Billing Supervisor.
- Retrieves Explanation of Benefits (EOBs), as needed, for EFT/deposits received from paperless payers who are not set up for ERA. Provides prompt notification of these payers to the Billing Supervisor to maximize opportunities to enroll for ERA.
- Identifies zero dollar payments/insurance denials and forwards EOB information to the appropriate Accounts Receivable team timely to drive prompt resubmission and appeals processing.
Education: High School Graduate/GED required. Technical School/2 Years College/Associates Degree preferred.
Work experience: Experience (3-5 years minimum) working in a healthcare (professional) billing, health insurance or equivalent operations work environment.
Knowledge: Healthcare (professional) billing, knowledge of CPT/ICD-10 coding, claim submission requirements and remittance processing. Understanding of the revenue cycle and how the various components work together preferred.
Skills: Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, research and problem solving ability. Results oriented with a proven track record of accomplishing tasks within a high-performing team environment. Service-oriented/customer-centric. Strong computer literacy skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Equipment Operated: Mainframe billing software (e.g., Cerner, Epic, and IDX) experience highly desirable.
As an IPM employee you will be part of a first class organization offering:
- A Challenging and rewarding work environment
- Competitive Compensation & Generous Paid Time Off
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Plans
- 401(K) with company match
and much more!!
Independence Shared Services is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Independence Shared Services. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired as a result of the referral or through other means.
About Universal Health Services
One of the nation’s largest and most respected providers of hospital and healthcare services, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, annual revenues were $12.6 billion in 2021. During the year, UHS was again recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; and listed in Forbes ranking of America’s Largest Public Companies. Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has approximately 89,000 employees and continues to grow through its subsidiaries. Operating acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, outpatient facilities and ambulatory care access points, an insurance offering, a physician network and various related services located all over the U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom. www.uhs.com
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852- 3449